[Wylug-help] strange hard drive problem

david powell dave at whipy.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 16 17:17:13 GMT 2006

On Monday 16 January 2006 9:35 am, Andreas Erbe wrote:
> > now what i find is suspect is once this has happend there is no way i
> > have found to recover any data from the drive , so i have been unable to
> > review the logs , and software on the drive for sign's of beeing hacked
> > or wether it was a virus , and the same one 3 times in the last 5 years
> > is suspect
>
> Is there no way to boot it on Knoppix and access the drive (before you do
> all the other things that lead to windows refusing to install)?

knoppix boots from live cd  but the partition info on the drive had been
corrupted
this is a ibm thinkpad  with a 30Gb drive
the parttiton table had been changed by the "virus" so that the first
partition stated at sector 0, track0, head 0
as this information had been corrupted knoppix or any other o/s for that
matter would have dificulty accessing the drive

methods tried to recover the data and partition info

i have some tools that should recover from this sort of thing

basicaly you wipe the partition table , boot sector and mbr
re write a new mbr , and run another program that will analize the data on the
disk and create a new partition table from what it finds

originaly the drive had 2 partitons a ntfs main partiton and a fat16 recovery
partition

after running this the patition table was still invalid and included a new
overlapping partiton , so it seems that the program changed the info in the
partition block and forced its initalisation
this renederd the drive data useless

so although the data is not recoverable that was the inital goal theres
another problem about the reinsatall
this relates to another problem , its another setting of the drive , and
someting that is not reset with a low level format of the drive
i know  ide drives have some other features like a serial number lock
and some other settings , allthough not in detail , i tend to suspect that it
is one of thease settings that has been changed

the installation problem is not a media problem , it installs , just that once
installed it fails to boot

from the drive that was " infected " last time i even tried linux/ windows
dual boot on it , the windows never booted but linux would , even with grub
loader or lilo , so its some setting that stops ntfs file system booting that
has changed , like i also mentioned after other attempts the onboard flash in
the drive has been reflashed and still the same

> > the drive appears to be faulty , but , it is posible to install linux on
> > it without any problems at all , so its not a hardware problem , even all
> > the drive tests show no faults , but a windows install on it will fail to
> > boot
>
> So a windows installation disc will not even consider booting, or does it
> come up with an error when detecting the harddisc?

the error it comes up with is pad partition table , unable to install once
that is fixed it installs but fails to boot once installed

the bios  lba modes etc are all ok and what they should be

> You will hate me for this - but that virus sounds interesting :-)

yes , it seems to be one that does a good job of trashing data
how it is transfered to the machine in the first place is a puzzle also

the laptop is not used for email , for surfing its a second machine i do all
my surfing in linux on this pc , so i tend to limit the surfing to trusted
sites the main ones are , bbc.co.uk  the video works better than linux, and
sometimes msn, because there site is not that linux freindly

any external access to my network from the internet gets routed to a different
pc , there is only 1 active internet service running on that , the rest is
firewall protected on that machine ,

so direct hacking seems unlikely

some of the points that i find odd , and realy odd is the first indication i
got of this virus was a unexplained system crash ,
then rebooted , the virus checker found a virus on reboot , infact 240 copies
of seid virus ,  odd because the virus it was finding was not there 6 hrs
prior when it last did a scan , and what is more odd is that the virus it was
finding  was a mass mailer virus that is not very distructive
see
http://www.bitdefender.com/VIRUS-125698-en--Win32.Worm.Mytob.BC.html
but before finishing the virus scan after boot  the virus checker crashed at
84% finished
leaving me to think that above virus was installed on the machine as a cover
for a more eilusive virus , i guess the mistake i made here was to restart
the machine again , and found the damage was done
i have a knoppix live cd with bit defender on it also, but never got chance to
give that a try before the drive got corrupted
finding this puzzleing as is the speed and destructive nature of it
from what i have found out the found virus would not itself cause the damage
that the machine has suffered

on another note , and not related to this "attack/virus" i have heard of
others that have had the same problem installing windows on to some drives
with pritty much the same problems in that it will not boot it after install
so looks like some drive specific setting in the drive itself , but how to fix
it i still have to find

Dave