[Wylug-help] ssh

Stephen Garton sheepeatingtaz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 16:20:49 GMT 2006

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to this list, so please forgive me before I start if
this is miles away from the scope of the list.

I am looking for some help with setting up ssh. Generally speaking, I
want to be able to access my home machine (running Ubuntu Breezy) from
my work machine (running WinXP Pro), preferably with some form of X
forwarding. I would also like to be able to access my webhosts via ssh
(my account allows this) from both work and home. This secondary point
is not as important to me, because if I can get access to my home
machine I can do it via ftp on that machine.

My first issue is I'm not sure if my home machine is set up right for
this. I have enabled port forwarding on my router for port 22 to my
ubuntu box. I don't know I need to run sshd on it, but not sure how to
go about it.

My second (and major) issue is the work box. (Hence me worried about
being miles away from the scope of the list!). As I said, it is
running Windows XP Pro. It is behind a corporate firewall, and
accesses the internet through a proxy server on port 8080. As for
which other ports are available, I do not know. I have read up a bit
on ssh, and as a result have downloaded and installed putty
(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/), but have no idea
how to set it up properly, as different 'tutorials' seem to contradict
each other!

If anyone knows of a tutorial I could read to help me out, I would
appreciate a push in the direction of the website. If anyone has a
similar setup, and can offer advice, that would be very welcome!

Thanks in advance

Steve Garton
http://www.sheepeatingtaz.co.uk