[Wylug-help] ssh

simon simon at mungewell.org
Tue Jan 17 19:51:17 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 03:24:30PM +0000, Stephen Garton wrote:

> My first issue is I'm not sure if my home machine is set up right for
> this. I have enabled port forwarding on my router for port 22 to my
> ubuntu box. I don't know I need to run sshd on it, but not sure how to
> go about it.

You will have to have sshd start up in the start up scripts, or start it
by hand each time.

In debian you can 'dpkg-reconfigure ssh' and say yes to run sshd server.

> My second (and major) issue is the work box. (Hence me worried about
> being miles away from the scope of the list!). As I said, it is
> running Windows XP Pro. It is behind a corporate firewall, and
> accesses the internet through a proxy server on port 8080. As for
> which other ports are available, I do not know. I have read up a bit
> on ssh, and as a result have downloaded and installed putty
> (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/), but have no idea
> how to set it up properly, as different 'tutorials' seem to contradict
> each other!

I have the same problem that outgoing ports are limited (they block 22
:-), however they don't block 21 so I have added 'port 21' to my
/etc/ssh/sshd.conf to get sshd listening on this port as well....

You will have to specify which port to use when you start Putty.

Hope this helps,
Simon.