[Wylug-help] ssh

Paul Scorer pauls at scorer.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 18 20:36:11 GMT 2006

We have similar but different problems at work.

They allow port 22 out, which can then be forwarded in the home
firewall: no prob!

More interesting is getting into Linux at work. Here all the well known
ports are blocked (with a few obvious exceptions).

My solution was to use port 2222 to get in on. To get this going, you
need to add a line to /etc/ssh/sshd_config. If you look for a line
specifying the Port you can add another with "Port 2222". The "Port 22"
line may be commented out: I uncommented it as well as adding the new
one. You will have to restart the sshd service.

I also needed to adjust the firewall at work to allow Port 2222 in.

However I am using FC4 - Your Mileage Will Vary.

In FC4
# system-config-securitylevel
gives a gui in which you can set the ports really easily.

HTH

PaulS