[Wylug-help] ssh

Dave Roberts dave.roberts at unisonfree.net
Tue Jan 17 21:10:22 GMT 2006

I would have a look at a combination of Knoppix and freenx. Freenx will
allow you to use your firms machine as a thin client attached to your
home machine. Knoppix comes with freenx configured in the live cd
version. The latest Knoppix version is 4.0.2 and although the main
version comes on DVD they have a stripped down version on CD. If your
firm is cooperative they will provide you with the info to configure the
networking to get you out and you will then be sat, in effect, in front
of your home pc. With a bit of practice you could connect from anywhere
in the world (that's the theory anyway) if you take your Knoppix Cd with
you. Have a look at the Knoppix and freenx web sites for more info.

Dave

Stephen Garton wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I'm fairly new to this list, so please forgive me before I start if
>this is miles away from the scope of the list.
>
>I am looking for some help with setting up ssh. Generally speaking, I
>want to be able to access my home machine (running Ubuntu Breezy) from
>my work machine (running WinXP Pro), preferably with some form of X
>forwarding. I would also like to be able to access my webhosts via ssh
>(my account allows this) from both work and home. This secondary point
>is not as important to me, because if I can get access to my home
>machine I can do it via ftp on that machine.
>
>My first issue is I'm not sure if my home machine is set up right for
>this. I have enabled port forwarding on my router for port 22 to my
>ubuntu box. I don't know I need to run sshd on it, but not sure how to
>go about it.
>
>My second (and major) issue is the work box. (Hence me worried about
>being miles away from the scope of the list!). As I said, it is
>running Windows XP Pro. It is behind a corporate firewall, and
>accesses the internet through a proxy server on port 8080. As for
>which other ports are available, I do not know. I have read up a bit
>on ssh, and as a result have downloaded and installed putty
>(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/), but have no idea
>how to set it up properly, as different 'tutorials' seem to contradict
>each other!
>
>If anyone knows of a tutorial I could read to help me out, I would
>appreciate a push in the direction of the website. If anyone has a
>similar setup, and can offer advice, that would be very welcome!
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Steve Garton
>http://www.sheepeatingtaz.co.uk

>---
>avast! Antivirus: Inbound message was clean.
>Virus Database (VPS): 0603-2, 17/01/2006
>Tested on: 17/01/2006 20:21:44
>avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message was clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0603-2, 17/01/2006
Tested on: 17/01/2006 20:50:46