[WYLUG-help] "lost" hdd

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Sat Jan 28 17:49:51 GMT 2006

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, Mike Goodman wrote:

> Thanks, John.
>
> On Sat, 28 Jan, John Hodrien wrote:
>
>> /dev/hda1     /mnt/hda1   blah-blah-blah
>>
>> if you want it to be mounted at /mnt/hda1.  Don't leave it like that,
>> you
>> could cause havoc on a reboot.
>
> I've changed that bit to /mnt/hda1, but left the rest as it is. Should I
> interpret blah-blah-blah as an instruction to change something in the
> rest of the line to something else? ;-)

Pure laziness on my part.  It meant leave it as it was, I think.

> Also, I can only assume it should be mounted at /mnt/hda1. I don't know.

Indeed, mount /mnt/hda1 (assuming you've made that directory) should work, and
it should mount by default on a reboot.

> Is it safe to reboot now?

I've no idea... ;)  This stuff all should be covered in an intro to linux type
guide/book.  I didn't chip in earlier as I didn't think I could cover the
issue as thoroughly as I suspect it deserves.  I'd look through the howtos at
tldp to see if there's anything worth a read.

If you're back to a single '/' entry (and it's what it used to be), I'd feel
fairly happy.

jh

--
"Nothing is more dangerous than an idea, when you only have one idea."
                                                      -- Alain