[Wylug-help] Linux sound & midi

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jul 7 07:52:42 BST 2006

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> I'm starting to have a dabble with some of the linux music software - in
> particular rosegarden, however I don't have much knowledge on linux
> sound and midi devices.
>
> I'd like to add a reasonable midi synth to my system, and for
> convenience and portability would much prefer to use an external USB device.
>
> So can someone give some advice as to how well USB sound devices - for
> example the Creative external devices - are supported, which devices are
> worth looking at etc - or good sources of information on this stuff....
>
> Moneywise, I'm thinking of the order of £50 - hopefully enough to get
> decent quality but not in the eye-watering semi-pro league :-)

I bought a Terratec 5.1 USB sound card for working round a lack of PCI slots
on a machine and it 'just worked'.  I had some problems with rat (a fairly old
audio tool) due to some buffering oddities, but on the whole it was fine.

jh

--
"Go to jail.  Go directly to jail.  Do not pass go.  Do not collect $200."
                                                      -- Charles Brace Darrow