[Wylug-help] TalkTalk and Linux

Darran Rimron darran at xalior.com
Tue Jul 18 10:43:53 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 10:31 +0100, Nick Thomas wrote:

> I notice that the talktalk website only supports other OS's, and the cable
> modem only has a USB connection.

ADSL modems a pretty standard, you should be able to buy one which had
an Ethernet port and use that after tweaking the settings across, I
imagine, and keep your existing Slackware setup.

> Do you think Slackware Version 10 will be able to work with TalkTalk?

I have no idea about the chosen USB device they give, but with a swapout
for an Ethernet based modem/router/firewall/NAT/whatever, it should be
doable, presuming it's just another standard UK ADSL retailer.... :)

> Anybody have any experience (good or bad) with this?

It's probably worth finding an actual TalkTalk customer to see if they
have any funky/custom authentication software you have to run on the PC
side of things, in that AOLesque kind of way....

Have you asked TalkTalk yourself about the possbility to use your own
ADSL modem?

-Dx