[Wylug-help] streaming video from a pc without X to a pc with X

simon simon at mungewell.org
Wed Jul 19 15:52:53 BST 2006

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 03:18:12PM +0100, Yiannis Gatsoulis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to stream video from a webcam from a pc that does not run X
> (ie multiuser mode without X) to a PC which can run X. Are there any
> solutions for that?
>
> Cheers.

Hi Yiannis,
You don't say what sort of 'Quality' you want for the webcam, I think
that this would have some bearing on the application chosen.

If you just want 'webcam' images, say 1 every 5 minutes, there are
plently of small appliction which will do this.

If you want live motion then you're entering a different world.

Do you need 1->1 or 1->many?

I would suggest looking at DyneBolic for inspiration, here's the apps
that they support:
http://dyne.org/~jaromil/dynebolic-man/dynebolic-x245.en.html

You could also conside using Icecast as the streamer. This reputedly can
handle video as well as audio.

As far as I can see, there is no real reason as to why a streamer would
need X output (apart from preview) so most would run from the command
like.

Have fun,
Simon.