[Wylug-help] streaming video from a pc without X to a pc with X

Yiannis Gatsoulis menig at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jul 20 11:47:02 BST 2006

simon wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 03:18:12PM +0100, Yiannis Gatsoulis wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to stream video from a webcam from a pc that does not run X
>> (ie multiuser mode without X) to a PC which can run X. Are there any
>> solutions for that?
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

> Hi Yiannis,
> You don't say what sort of 'Quality' you want for the webcam, I think
> that this would have some bearing on the application chosen.
>
> If you just want 'webcam' images, say 1 every 5 minutes, there are
> plently of small appliction which will do this.
>
> If you want live motion then you're entering a different world.
>
> Do you need 1->1 or 1->many?

Thanks for the reply. Now it has to be live motion. Let's say that for
now the quality is smth like 360x280 pixels but it would be nice to use
higher resolution webcams. The communication channel is wifi peer to
peer.... ie two pcs connected to each other, which means that it can be
1-1, in fact for video I need a one direction streaming from the pc
without X to the pc with X. I also forgot to mention that audio
streaming would also be helpful and this would ideally be a duplex
comminucation (half or full). On the X side I could use a previewer to
watch the video streamed. I was thinking of the messenger like
things.... something like have ekiga from the X side but something that
can transmit video and audio to ekiga on the other.

> I would suggest looking at DyneBolic for inspiration, here's the apps
> that they support:
> http://dyne.org/~jaromil/dynebolic-man/dynebolic-x245.en.html
>
> You could also conside using Icecast as the streamer. This reputedly can
> handle video as well as audio.
>

> As far as I can see, there is no real reason as to why a streamer would
> need X output (apart from preview) so most would run from the command
> like.

Thanks a lot for these....