[Wylug-help] streaming video from a pc without X to a pc with X

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jul 20 12:16:59 BST 2006

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Yiannis Gatsoulis wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Now it has to be live motion. Let's say that for now
> the quality is smth like 360x280 pixels but it would be nice to use higher
> resolution webcams. The communication channel is wifi peer to peer.... ie two
> pcs connected to each other, which means that it can be 1-1, in fact for
> video I need a one direction streaming from the pc without X to the pc with
> X. I also forgot to mention that audio streaming would also be helpful and
> this would ideally be a duplex comminucation (half or full). On the X side I
> could use a previewer to watch the video streamed. I was thinking of the
> messenger like things.... something like have ekiga from the X side but
> something that can transmit video and audio to ekiga on the other.

vic?

http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/multimedia/software/

Assuming you have X libs installed on the remote machine camstream actually
works quite well as a remote X app for monitoring V4L devices.

jh

--
"...you died a good death if your life had inspired someone to come forward
  and shoot your murderer in the chest, without asking to be paid."