[WYLUG-help] PostgreSQL and SQL-Ledger

Mike Goodman mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Sat Jun 3 23:24:10 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-03 at 22:07 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> > Ah, not quite, run psql first and that'll give you a postgres (sql) command
> > line.

psql on its own gives: psql (pg_wrapper): No database specified

On Sat, 2006-06-03 at 22:07 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> Some of the odd admin binaries go in /usr/lib/postgresql which isn't pathed.
> The apt postgres 8.1 works just fine (I've got it running here).

Sounds great to me. Firstly does it sort out all the post install stuff
and secondly, can you help me ensure I get rid of everything this time,
so I'm starting with a clean sheet to write on. I think I've learned
enough to make it work by not repeating mistakes, but I need to rid
myself of those mistakes first! ;-)

On Sat, 2006-06-03 at 22:07 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> The apt postgres 8.1 works

There's a good howto here
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/373 to which a contributor
has added a backport tip referring on to here:
http://www.backports.org/instructions.html

So really it's about how do I get rid of the old stuff? Then I'll just
follow the manual's post install routines to create the correct paths
and so forth, ensuring I check what those paths are, first, rather than
copying blindly? At least I'll be sure then that everything works as it
should.

So, I'll await instructions on "cleaning up operations" and follow them
before embarking upon a start afresh strategy.

Many thanks for the help to date and in anticipation of what's new :-)

Mike