[WYLUG-help] PostgreSQL and SQL-Ledger

Mike Goodman mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Sun Jun 4 16:55:24 BST 2006

Moving on:

I tried to start again, but this time with a nice shiny new version of postgresql:

apt-get --purge remove postgresql

This gave a files not empty error so directories /etc/postgresql and /var/lib/postgres would not be removed.

I removed them using rm -fr then went on to delete everything I could find to do with sql-ledger.

I then installed PostgreSQL-8.1 running apt-get -t sarge-backports install postgresql-8.1 postgresql-client-8.1

Next I cd'ed to /usr/local and ran tar xzvf sql-ledger-2.6.12.tar.gz, created sql-ledger-httpd.conf in
/etc/apache2/, added the include to it statement in apache2.conf and altered permissions on the relevant directories in /usr/local/sql-ledger to www-data:www-data

I've renamed sql-ledger.conf.default to sql-ledger.conf and edited it (only had to remove one f the two default printers).

Next, su'ed to postgres and set up three new users with passwords.

Opened up /sql-ledger/admin.pl in a workstation browser and tried to create a dataset using one of the new users. Got the error:

> Error!
>
> FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "sql-ledger"

I strongly suspect that's a wrong configuration in pg_hba.conf but
that's not where it used to be in v7.4!! and the find command draws a
blank.

Incidentally, whilst looking for it I found a file or directory
/var/lib/postgres/dumpall/7.4 - perhaps I should have deleted the
client, too.

Can anyone help me, please?

TIA Mike