[Wylug-help] Different Content to Different Displays Under X

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Mon Jun 12 00:04:46 BST 2006

Hi All,

I'd really like to make use of the 'Notes' facility in the S5
presentation package.

See

    http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/

    and

    http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2006/01/09/s5-12a1/

I gather from the latter page, that you need two separate outputs, i.e.
so slides go to the projector while the presenter/trainer views timings
and notes on a separate display.

This seems very handy, but I've no idea how (or even whether) it can
been done on Linux.

I'm not even sure whether it requires two graphics cards or two
machines.

Given that most presentations are driven from laptops, neither of these
two options look particularly practical ... although my laptop can
(theoretically) output to VGA and S-Video/TV-Out simultaneously.

I have frequently run 2 X servers on the same laptop, but I've not been
able to output different displays to two different devices.

Is this even theoretically possible?

Any ideas/observations would be interesting.

Dave

P.S. This problem reminds me that hardly any Linux users really
understand how X works at a fundamental/low level.  Do we have someone
who understands this stuff among the WYLUG membership?  If so, could
they provide a talk to put the rest of us on the path to enlightenment?