[Wylug-help] Burning a cd-rw - problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Mar 15 17:58:25 GMT 2006

I'm trying to discover whether my problems are with the disks, the drives (2
of them) or k3b.  These systems are both running FC4, fully updated.  Here's
what has happened:

I put a used cd-rw into k3b, which happily erased it, then said it couldn't
write to it.

I put a new cd-rw into k3b, which appeared to burn correctly, but when it came
to the verify it said that it couldn't read the file system.  The disk can't
be mounted - similar message.  Lots of I/O errors, bad sector messages appear
in 'messages'.

I've tried several disks and two drives, also a DVD-RW disk, with the same
result.

Why would k3b appear to do a whole burn, if it couldn't create the file
system?

Any clues as to what may be happening would be greatly appreciated.  I've got
some saved output from k3b, if it helps.