[Wylug-help] Burning a cd-rw - problems

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Mar 15 18:04:28 GMT 2006

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I'm trying to discover whether my problems are with the disks, the drives (2
> of them) or k3b.  These systems are both running FC4, fully updated.  Here's
> what has happened:
>
> I put a used cd-rw into k3b, which happily erased it, then said it couldn't
> write to it.
>
> I put a new cd-rw into k3b, which appeared to burn correctly, but when it
> came to the verify it said that it couldn't read the file system.  The disk
> can't be mounted - similar message.  Lots of I/O errors, bad sector messages
> appear in 'messages'.
>
> I've tried several disks and two drives, also a DVD-RW disk, with the same
> result.

I'd try from the command line with cdrecord to check there's not something
screwy with k3b, but since it just uses cdrecord/cdrdao and friends underneath
I doubt it.

mkisofs -RJ small_directory_of_stuff -o /tmp/foo.iso
cdrecord -vvvvvvvv -blank=disc /tmp/foo.iso

> Why would k3b appear to do a whole burn, if it couldn't create the file
> system?

That's the joy of cd writing.  You don't know whether it's readable until
after the burn unless it's a major problem.

> Any clues as to what may be happening would be greatly appreciated.  I've
> got some saved output from k3b, if it helps.

Could be either dodgy disks or drive, but you've got two drives so...  I've
never had much luck with CDRW myself, but no problems with DVD+RW,

jh

--
"It is always easier to fight for ones principles than to live up to them."
                                                      -- Alfred Adler