[Wylug-help] Burning a cd-rw - problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Mar 15 20:18:26 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 19:42, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Anne Wilson wrote:
> >> mkisofs -RJ small_directory_of_stuff -o /tmp/foo.iso
> >
> > I can't get past this -
> >
> > root at david ~]# mkisofs -RJ /home/anne/Documents/LydgateDesign/
> > -o /home/anne/test.iso
> > INFO:   UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
> >        Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
> >        use -input-charset to override.
> > Unknown file type (unallocated) /home/anne/Documents/LydgateDesign/.. -
> > ignoring and continuing.
> > mkisofs: No such file or directory. Invalid node - -o
>
> Sorry, that's because the lady wife was standing in the cold and I had to
> rush off without checking my post.
>
> mkisofs -RJ -o /tmp/foo.iso /foo
>
> My bad.
>
> > I tried it first as user, but when I got the error I switched to root.
> > What have I got wrong?
>
> Just me.
>
> > Is the message about utf8 relevant?  If it may be, I could run convmv
> > against the whole directory and try it again.
>
> I'd ignore it for now.

OK - I've got the .iso.  How do I point it at the second drive (hdd)?
cdrecord -vvvvvvvv -blank=disc /tmp/foo.iso points it at hdc, which is
DVD-ROM.

In the past I've burned both + and - disks without problems.  I don't know
whether there is any real likelihood that the drive is developing a fault.
Let's see whether I can get a burn on any of the CD-RW disks first,.  I may
have an odd CD+RW one somewhere.