[Wylug-help] firewall issues

Justin Ware justinware at onetel.com
Fri Mar 17 12:45:54 GMT 2006

Hi,

I have a question related to using firewalls in Linux. I'm using SuSE 10.0
and the firewall I'm running (unsurprisingly) is SuSEfirewall2. The box is
on a small home network. Connection to the internet is via an
ADSL-modem/router/hub-thingy using NAT (no port forwarding, no DMZ).
There's another windows PC using the hub. The Linux box is not the
firewall to the internet for the windows box.

I understand how to configure the blocking of incoming traffic. I've set
the machine up as a Samba server, works fine.

I've read around the subject of external, internal and demilitarized zones
for the firewall and I *believe* that's mainly concerned with using the
Linux box as the firewall for a network. So I could block outgoing traffic
 from machines behind the firewall.

Is there a way I can block local outgoing traffic from the Linux box? So
if there is a trojan sending out my sensitive information** then it will
be blocked. I don't *believe* it's doing that by default.

I could of course block it at the router (after reading the manual).

Thanks,

J.

** recipes, underwear size, high score on breakout etc

--
Justin Ware
justinware at onetel.com