[Wylug-help] Guest account for Linux??

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Mar 20 20:08:36 GMT 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Emon wrote:

> I am running Slackware10.2 with KDE desktop on a home PC. I was wondering how
> to setup a guest account with limited permissions & stuffs like that.

Define limited permissions.

> Do I have to create a new account with the login name 'guest' & no password??

Yes, although that'd cause you issues with security, since it'd be allowed to
ssh in among other things.  If you did that you'd really want to make sure you
weren't opening yourself up to abuse.

> I thought there was a especial limited user (by default) called 'nobody' & a
> especial limited group (by default) called 'nogroup'...... is there any to
> use them as guest account?? if so how?? especially in KDE??

Don't do that.

jh

--
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
                                                      -- Aristotle