[Wylug-help] Guest account for Linux??

Roger Leigh rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org
Mon Mar 20 21:12:23 GMT 2006

John Hodrien <johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk> writes:

> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Emon wrote:

>> Do I have to create a new account with the login name 'guest' & no
>> password??
>
> Yes, although that'd cause you issues with security, since it'd be
> allowed to ssh in among other things.  If you did that you'd really
> want to make sure you weren't opening yourself up to abuse.

If you do go this route, you can put

PermitEmptyPasswords no

in sshd_config, but also putting

hostsRSAAuthentication no
HostbasedAuthentication no
PasswordAuthentication no

is a good idea.  This means you can't log in unless you have a valid
SSH private RSA or DSA key.

There are also PAM options that can further restrict things.

Of course, a passwordless account is a huge gaping hole in system
security.  My syslog shows that SSH break in attempts do try "test",
"guest" and related usernames.  If you do this, you are *guaranteed*
to be rooted within a few hours, so please don't do it.  This is one
reason why you shouldn't use such common usernames: they are ripe for
abuse, and the bad guys are well aware of it.

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh