[Wylug-help] What is the Gnome & KDE difference??

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Wed Mar 29 09:20:06 BST 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 09:41:11PM +0100, John Hodrien wrote:
[snip]

> You've missed something if you think the Open Source world wants one of
> everything.  I'm not bothered whether it's KDE or Gnome.  They're both
> pretty
> good.  I still actually prefer Gnome (although spatial browsing can sod off)
> simply because it's got less to it.  There's nothing intimidating in Gnome,
> and stuff just works.  I've never felt that KDE was a good Windows
> replacement, rather it's a good Windows alternative.  Gnome on the other
> hand
> I think *is* a good replacement.

Of course it's not just Gnome and KDE :-)

Of the two I'd lean towards Gnome, but I use xfce because it's much more
lightweight and does exactly what I need it to.

I'd recommend xfce to anyone who's using older hardware (which I'm not,
but I don't want my desktop environment eating a couple of hundred
megs).

James