[Wylug-help] What is the Gnome & KDE difference??

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Mar 29 12:22:02 BST 2006

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 11:44, Yiannis Gatsoulis wrote:
> Firslty, one question of mine is how come and from the 4-5 or 5 replies
> most are gnome users and 1 xfce user while none a kde and still the poll on
> linuxquestions give 66% to kde as the most popular desktop environment
> which is twice gnome? Anyway my two cents below...

I'm a kde user.  I think that the answer to that is that most 'geeky' distros
default to gnome, so people coming from a unix background would naturally
settle there.  Distros that set out to be newbie-friendly tend towards kde
because it is so extremely configurable, that if someone wants it to look
very much like windows it can do.

For me, the configurability is the attraction.  I could have all the eye-candy
I want, but mainly I choose not to, apart from a seasonal wallpaper.  I do
like the centralised control panel.

As you say elsewhere, choosing either does not stop you using packages
designed for the other.  I use a mixture, according to purpose.

But then, as James pointed out, both are heavy on resources.  They are no
problem whatsoever on newer hardware, but a lighter desktop helps older
hardware.  FWIW I installed FC4 with kde onto an old Packard Bell 700 laptop
with only 128MB RAM, to use for a temporary mail server.  It was too slow for
general use, but it got me by.  I've now doubled the memory and it doesn't
seem to bad at all, although I wouldn't use it for anything needing heavy
processing.