[Wylug-help] What is the Gnome & KDE difference??

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Mar 29 16:28:37 BST 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, lee at leeevans.org wrote:

>> While I'm here, just what /is/ this spatial browsing thingy I've heard so
>> much
>> about? I'm running debian/testing+, which claims to have gnome 2.10.1. Is
>> it in
>> there and if so how do I enable it to see whether I like it? (I really
>> dislike
>> Nautilus at the moment. Give me a terminal window anytime.)
>
> As I understand it, it's just a stupid name given to what is probably
> familiar, age-old and IMO bloody annoying behaviour in which each time you
> open a folder a new file manager window is opened [like turning on the
> option 'Open each folder in it's own window', in Windows]

It becomes 'spatial' when each annoying window that appears remebers where it
should appear, where it should scroll to etc.  Which means not only do you get
swamped with 300 windows but you have to chase them around the screen.  It's
been the default for some time (with sensible mode only enabled by right click
browse, or a gconf option).

jh

--
"A fanatic is a person who can't change his mind and won't change the
  subject."                                           -- Winston Churchill