[Wylug-help] What is the Gnome & KDE difference??

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Wed Mar 29 16:35:34 BST 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 04:22:57PM +0100, lee at leeevans.org wrote:
> > While I'm here, just what /is/ this spatial browsing thingy I've heard so
> > much
> > about? I'm running debian/testing+, which claims to have gnome 2.10.1. Is
> > it in
> > there and if so how do I enable it to see whether I like it? (I really
> > dislike
> > Nautilus at the moment. Give me a terminal window anytime.)
>
> As I understand it, it's just a stupid name given to what is probably
> familiar, age-old and IMO bloody annoying behaviour in which each time you
> open a folder a new file manager window is opened [like turning on the
> option 'Open each folder in it's own window', in Windows]

That's true, but I believe that the 'spacial' bit actually refers to the
way in which those windows 'remember' their positions; allowing you to
organise a desktop into different working areas, e.g. associating
particular files, apps and activities in distinct 'spaces' on the
desktop..

Personally, I find virtual desktops or viewport grids far more useful
for this purpose. (viewport grids allow windows to spread over more than
one 'desktop').

I can set up VDs so that no mouse or keyboard movement is required to
activate a window, except the single stroke that takes me to the VD
concerned ... much less demanding on the wrists and the memory!

Dave