[Wylug-help] Grub Booting Problem

Towle, William william.towle at eldon.co.uk
Wed May 24 15:55:25 BST 2006

> >  Grub.  When it boots it is
> > ignoring the /boot/grub/menu.lst, and is dropping into the
> grub command
> > line.

> > If I use the "configfile /grub/menu.lst" command it loads up my
> > menu.lst, and boots correctly.
>
> It's possible that grub thinks your boot partition is /
> instead of /boot. You
> could try variations on grub-install (assuming that's not
> debian-specific).

  No it's not - but it appears to be nothing more than a
command line version of the 'setup' command as provided by
the grub shell.
  In the grub shell, 'help setup' indicates that 'install'
has influence over the config file but 'setup' does not.

  I'd suggest an 'help install' in the grub shell, and
working out what the runes the relevant 'root', 'kernel',
and 'initrd' commands translate to.

HTH,
  Wills.