[WYLUG-help] Apache2 died :-(

Mike Goodman mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Sat May 27 23:36:09 BST 2006

Hi, Folks,

Done lots of googling on this plus tried the debian docs. That doesn't
necessarily mean to say the answer's not there but there's a lot of
stuff and I couldn't find the specifics among it.

Apache2.0.5x on Sarge3.1 was working nicely and I put a phpinfo file
in /var/www/ which told me all about PHP, using a workstation browser to
view it.

Added a user (adduser anysite and follow the prompts).

Added virtual host file 'anysite' as new file
in /etc/apache2/sites-available/ then symlinked
from /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/ with a2ensite anysite.

Then made the first mistake - apache2ctl restart before symlinking the
home directory from /var/www/ and got a no such file or directory error,
so put in the symlink.

Tried apache2ctl restart again but no joy. Apache wasn't running. Did
more reading and got more confused than enlightened ;-)

Second mistake, tried to reload apache thus:

> ~# /etc/init.d/apache2 load
> Usage: /etc/init.d/apache2 start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload
> ~# /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload
> Forcing reload of web server: Apache2 ... no pidfile found! not
> running?

Rebooted the machine but it appears apache2 is still dead, although it
appeared to start on reboot. Ran:

> ~# ps aux | grep apache2
> root      1372  0.0  0.1  1536  448 pts/0    R+   23:11   0:00 grep
> apache2

so it's definitely not running. Any offers?

FWIW, the virtual host file for the new user
in /etc/apache2/sites-available/ contains:

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName anysite
ServerAlias anysite
DocumentRoot /var/www/anysite
CustomLog logs/anysite-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

TIA, Mike