[Wylug-help] ADSL Router Recommendation

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Thu Nov 2 00:23:04 GMT 2006

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 03:24:39PM +0000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> Without making any specific recommendations, if you want a network
> configuration outside the expected standard single IP with PAT/NAT then
> be very careful.

Indeed - I've found this.

> For example the Netgear wired router I have at home is utterly incapable
> of doing routed IP (ie I have a /29 from my ISP which is direct routed -
> no NAT, no firewall, just simple routing) in recent firmware releases. I
> have to run an old firmware revision to make this simpler than normal
> config work at all.

If you buy the cheapest one you can find, it'll probably have the
connexant chipset in it. I've never had a problem with these, strangely
enough, and I run the same routed netblock setup.

We also have one at work which handles vast amounts of traffic including
many concurrent voip calls.

James