[Wylug-help] ADSL Router Recommendation

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Wed Nov 1 15:24:54 GMT 2006

Without making any specific recommendations, if you want a network
configuration outside the expected standard single IP with PAT/NAT then
be very careful.

For example the Netgear wired router I have at home is utterly incapable
of doing routed IP (ie I have a /29 from my ISP which is direct routed -
no NAT, no firewall, just simple routing) in recent firmware releases. I
have to run an old firmware revision to make this simpler than normal
config work at all.

The Vigor range is probably capable of doing real routing configs
because its networking gear rather than consumer grade "black boxes".

     Nigel.