[Wylug-help] Broadband Internet Help

david powell david at whipy.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 2 13:55:50 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 01 November 2006 11:37 pm, Paul Scorer wrote:
> I note a number of other replies to this, but here is my £0.01 worth:
>
> *	I have heard of multiple phones on one filter blowing up an adsl
> filter.
yes
but interestingly the ren number capacaty that a adsl filter supports is not
given
i would only recommend 2 phones per filter
i have one of the old bt phones with the rotary dial , that needs a filter by
its self

> *	I use one filter per socket with wired-into-the-house phone lines - so
> significant run lengths to each phone from the bt socket - certainly >
> 15m.
>
> *	I had _exactly_ this problem (of random, unsolicited disconnection)
> using a speedtouch usb modem, using an IPCOP firewall / router / ... as
> a separate machine, "feeding" a home network.
>
> *	I took it up with BT (who are my isp - why, you may well ask!). They
> were not able to help.

one of the other problems is noise , the phone can work fine all of the time
but random disconnects can happen

this is when the signal gets corrupt
maybe soething like a radio repeater can crooupt it intermitantly
theres no real fix if its to do with something like that
had  a simalar problem when i was with bulldogadsl
but what was more of a problem was having a dinamic ip
when the line drops and reconnects
usualy an outage of 10 to 20 seconds causing up to a 2 min fail to get the
adsl logged back in only to find you lost the download because your ip
changed
changing to a isp with a fixed ip makes it better

> *	I happened to find a pci conexant chip set adsl modem card. I
> installed it (mainly to reduce unnecessary wires) and have not had a
> disconnection since - 35 days so far, compared with 2, 15, 1, 8000, 22,
> 10, 500, ... _minutes_ previously. I am impressed.
one of the advantages of having a router external to the pc is that you can
have the router positioned by the master bt socket and run the network cable
to the pc from there ( theres a wire to run to the pc anyway whatever way you
do it unless using wifi that is )

> *	My card was "second hand"  from the shop - i.e. a return. I have no
> suggestions as to where you might find one. Sorry. Mine came from Maplin
> in Leeds.
>
> MTWH
>
> PaulS

theres one other thing i would say to aviod  usb based asdl modems
but this is because i have more than 1 machine running and it would require
the machine with the usb modem to be on all the time for the others to have
internet access and using lots of usb devices causes lots of collisions

you will find that if using a usb adsl and a usb webcam , usb mouse and usb
printer that you may lose connection because of usb data collisions this can
be the source of alot of the disconnections also

David