[Wylug-help] Cheap wireless ethernet

Don Magee don at leedsweb.dyndns.org
Mon Nov 13 17:20:29 GMT 2006

I am using wifi to share my connexion with a friend at the bottom of the
street. We have a link about 70 metres long using two linksys WAP54G
access points. One is set up as a normal access point and the other is
in client mode. This gives transparent connexion of the two networks.

I use an external aerial to reduce signal path loss. But if the path is
short the aerials on the access point will be ok. If you reflash the
firmware of the WAP54G with the Sveasoft version then you can telnet in
and monitor the signal strength. Very useful for positioning and aerial
alignment. The dlink DWL900AP also works in the same configuration but
there isn't any third party firmware for it and there is no signal
strength indicator.

Don Magee