[Wylug-help] Autostarting applications

Yiannis Gatsoulis menig at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Oct 10 19:24:30 BST 2006

Richard Starkie wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Could someone please point me in the right direction?
>
> I am trying to get an application to start automatically when I start my centos box.  The box is to replace the current unreliable hold system at work.  I have successfully got the box to auto log on, but would also like the box to autostart the music player to eliminate the need to send a person down to the basement.

Well the easy way if you are using gnome is
System->Preferences->Sessions->Startup Programs

An alternative would be to write a script to start the programs you
want... Again in gnome you can get a graphical tool called BUM (boot up
manager) and...

Otherwise maybe you could add it in your runlevels... I am not sure
about centos since Ubuntu is "skipping" some runlevels and keeps a
different dir for the dirs of each runlevel located in /etc and having a
name rc<#>.d... The file you need to hack is inittab if I recall well....