[Wylug-help] ehci_hcd

Linda Kennedy & David Carpenter d.carpenter at virgin.net
Sun Oct 22 20:15:01 BST 2006

Anyone know anything about this?

I use Ubuntu 6.06 and I've been having problems with my USB ports.

I can use my Epson printer and my Kodak camera both via the USB ports
and they work fine.

I have a USB Flash disc pen, and recently got an external hard drive,
neither of which 'hot-plugged' and in fact seemed to kill the USB ports
completely (so the printer wouldn't work after trying the hard drives in
the ports)

I've just found a solution that tells me to kill the ehci-hcd module
using the command:
sudo modprobe -r ehci_hcd

and  when I do this  - the hard disks work! Great!
( I have to do this before I plug the USB pen in - if I do it afterwards
the terminal just seems to hang)

I believe by killing off ehic_hcd,  uhic_hcd takes over and does the job
just fine.
(BTW I think the camera works because it only tries to use ohic_ and
doesn't even bother ehic - not sure what the printer does)

Now I think uhic is USB 1, and ehic is USB 2 (the speed isn't too much
of a problem for what I do)

My question is: What do you think is going on?

I've searched some forums and can find the remove module solution, but
no real explanation. Is it just my hardware? Is there a problem with
ehic? Can I get USB 2 functionality at all?

Any comments welcome.

Cheers
David