[Wylug-help] read write permissions

Imran Javeed imran.javeed at i-ksolutions.com
Fri Apr 6 17:55:01 BST 2007

I'm having problems writing to folders created on an Apple Xserve from
my pc running Red Hat Enterprise. When I try and write to them I get the
message "Access Denied". If I create a folder on the Xserve from a pc
running XP my Linux box writes to it no problem. I checked the
permissions on the Xserve and the folder created by XP has 'owner',
'group' and 'others' all having read and write permissions, but the
Linux created folder has 'owner' and 'group' read and write and 'others'
read only. Is it something that I need to set up in fstab? I have the
following line in fstab to allow me to access the Xserve:

//192.168.1.201/XserveRAID        /Xserve              smbfs   guest,
uid=500   0

########################

Carl

To start off with I would check your smb.conf file and check who the effective user is set to there.

Hope my advise helps

Imran

Regards

Imran Javeed

I’m having problems writing to folders created on an Apple Xserve from my pc running Red Hat Enterprise. When I try and write to them I get the message “Access Denied”. If I create a folder on the Xserve from a pc running XP my Linux box writes to it no problem. I checked the permissions on the Xserve and the folder created by XP has ‘owner’, ‘group’ and ‘others’ all having read and write permissions, but the Linux created folder has ‘owner’ and ‘group’ read and write and ‘others’ read only. Is it something that I need to set up in fstab? I have the following line in fstab to allow me to access the Xserve:

//192.168.1.201/XserveRAID        /Xserve              smbfs   guest, uid=500   0          0

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carl