[Wylug-help] Rsync is broken?

david powell achiestdragon at whipy.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 25 08:11:04 BST 2007

On Tuesday 24 April 2007 11:01 pm, RichardA wrote:
> For a while I've run a script at boot which has rsynced /home (230GB)
> with a 'server' (a low profile mini-itx box, actually). Now it doesn't
> work, and I can't for the life of me work out why.
>
> Some background: I replaced a 10MB NIC in my desktop PC for a 100MB
> one, and soon after noticed that the backup script wasn't working.
> When I run it manually it fails after a few GB of traffic with an
> error like this:
>
> -------------------------------
> Received disconnect from 192.168.1.2: 2: Corrupted MAC on input.
> rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 16385 bytes [sender]: Broken
> pipe (32)
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (57786 bytes received
> so far) [sender]
> rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(454)
> [sender=2.6.9] root at cetri ~ #
> -------------------------------
>
> Googling the error showed problems with Realtek NICs or bad memory. I
> have swapped NICs on both server and desktop a number of times, I've
> swapped out two memory sticks in the server, the OS on the desktop has
> been reinstalled for unrelated reasons, I tried using an old 10MB hub
> to connect the PCs in case my Linksys router was corrupting packets..
> but nothing has helped!
>
> I've run out of ideas, does anyone have any idea what the problem could
> be, or how I could troubleshoot it?

check the router again , if using fixed ip on your dns  the router often
stores the mac address  to issue the ip , after changing it could still be
issuing the correct ip  but becasue the mac address is diferent from what the
router has from the original settings  then it may error but still give you a
working network connection

by the looks of the message it seems the script itself is looking for the MAC
address rather than the ip , so you may need to set that someware
or the backup image may check that the image it is saving is from the same MAC
rather than just relying on the ip , because the ip may be dinamic and change
this problem would be solved by  creating a fresh backup synced file with the
new network card fitted

as the message says it  read 57786 bytes then failed the MAC i would suspect
the first solution

if you "ping" the dns for its mac info repeatedly for some time it should
always show the current MAC but i suspect the dns has the old mac in there
that it substitutes occasionaly

alternatavlty  look at the dns settings in the router and if its allocated to
a spesific mac  and check that mac address against the one the NIC in use on
the machine says

Dave