[Wylug-help] Rsync is broken?

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Wed Apr 25 17:29:47 BST 2007

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, david powell wrote:

> On Tuesday 24 April 2007 11:01 pm, RichardA wrote:
> > For a while I've run a script at boot which has rsynced /home (230GB)
> > with a 'server' (a low profile mini-itx box, actually). Now it doesn't
> > work, and I can't for the life of me work out why.
> >
> > Some background: I replaced a 10MB NIC in my desktop PC for a 100MB
> > one, and soon after noticed that the backup script wasn't working.
> > When I run it manually it fails after a few GB of traffic with an
> > error like this:
> >
> > -------------------------------
> > Received disconnect from 192.168.1.2: 2: Corrupted MAC on input.
> > rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 16385 bytes [sender]: Broken
> > pipe (32)
> > rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (57786 bytes received
> > so far) [sender]
> > rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(454)
> > [sender=2.6.9] root at cetri ~ #
> > -------------------------------

It looks like a driver problem.

can you try ftp'ing or scp'ing some big files too and fro, to see if it is
_not_ a problem with rsync.

Also depending on the mobo in the mini-itx and the chip set (VIA?)
I remember seeing some early reports of PCI (I think) problems
when several processes were DMA'ing. See the VIA mini-itx bulletin boards.

> > Googling the error showed problems with Realtek NICs or bad memory. I
> > have swapped NICs on both server and desktop a number of times, I've
> > swapped out two memory sticks in the server, the OS on the desktop has
> > been reinstalled for unrelated reasons, I tried using an old 10MB hub
> > to connect the PCs in case my Linksys router was corrupting packets..
> > but nothing has helped!
> >
> > I've run out of ideas, does anyone have any idea what the problem could
> > be, or how I could troubleshoot it?
> >

> check the router again , if using fixed ip on your dns  the router often
> stores the mac address  to issue the ip , after changing it could still be
> issuing the correct ip  but becasue the mac address is diferent from what the
> router has from the original settings  then it may error but still give you a
> working network connection
>

> by the looks of the message it seems the script itself is looking for the MAC
> address rather than the ip , so you may need to set that someware
> or the backup image may check that the image it is saving is from the same MAC
> rather than just relying on the ip , because the ip may be dinamic and change
> this problem would be solved by  creating a fresh backup synced file with the
> new network card fitted
>
> as the message says it  read 57786 bytes then failed the MAC i would suspect
> the first solution
>
> if you "ping" the dns for its mac info repeatedly for some time it should
> always show the current MAC but i suspect the dns has the old mac in there
> that it substitutes occasionaly
>
> alternatavlty  look at the dns settings in the router and if its allocated to
> a spesific mac  and check that mac address against the one the NIC in use on
> the machine says

I'm at a loss to understand what you have written or what DNS has to do
with MAC addresses? Do you mean DHCP?

Jim