[Wylug-help] Rsync is broken?

Dave Hassett dave at behemoth.plus.com
Fri Apr 27 09:29:15 BST 2007

RichardA wrote:
>>can you try ftp'ing or scp'ing some big files too and fro, to see if
>>it is _not_ a problem with rsync.
>
> A copy using  scp has just failed after 7.5GB, which implies a driver
> problem not rsync. But I've previously tried two NICs, which used two
> different drivers -- mii for VIA Rhine and 8390 for NE2000, I think.

Just out of interest - did you try different cables? You said you
replaced the NIC, drivers and the switch, but what about the Ethernet
cables themselves? During my 6+ years as a sys admin, I've seen far too
many issues caused by dodgy patch leads (including cables which I had
just unwrapped from the packaging). Remember - you've just upped your
network speed by a factor of 10. Is your cabling up to the job? Perhaps
the patch was damaged somehow? I've seen people overlook this before, to
the point where it was the last thing they tried, and it was the one
thing which fixed the problem.

If you've checked this already, my apologies!

Many thanks,

Dave Hassett