[Wylug-help] What am I missing (router question)

Roger Greenwood rg at nthong.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Apr 30 20:34:11 BST 2007

Hi All,

I have a broadband router on 192.168.1.1 (new, default setting)
I changed my local machine to fixed IP at 192.168.1.20
Connect the 2 together - all OK - got broadband at last.

Now I have another wireless hub/router (Netgear MR814v2) on IP 192.168.0.7
which has been used as a 4 port hub for years without problem, 2 x local
machines previously on 192.168.0.1 & 2 and all worked fine, connecting to
internet via dialup modem.

Now :- I connect the netgear hub to the broadband router via the WAN port as
per the standard netgear diagram - and I cannot get to either machine no
matter what setting I use on the local machine.

Set the local machine back to 192.168.1.20, connect the machine and the
netgear router without using the WAN port i.e. just use it as a hub - now can
connect to the broadband router OK and get back out to the internet - all
seems to work fine again. But this is not how it should work.

Same scenario with another computer - fix IP at 192.168.1.30 and can get
through the hub to the broadband router. Cannot get back to the hub whatever
settings I use (restarting network between changes).

The real reason for trying to sort this is I want one of the machines to
connect wirelessly - which obviously doesn't work at the moment either.

I have been exploring with ifconfig, ethereal, iwconfig, nmap, ping and
firewall settings but have run out of ideas.

The fact that I can get through the hub to the router eliminates most cable
and card (hardware) problems. I understand that to get back to the hub I have
to reset my machine to 192.168.0.x - but this doesn't work either now!

Both local machines running SuSE 9.3 or 10.0

Some new pointers appreciated - any better tools for this kind of problem?

Must be something very basic?

Roger Greenwood.

--
Next to being shot at and missed, nothing is really quite as satisfying
as an income tax refund.