[Wylug-help] Nvidia twinview

Chris Davies MBCS chris.davies at bcs.org.uk
Tue Aug 14 11:10:50 BST 2007

Folks,

I've been given a nice new shiny laptop for work, onto which I've installed
Debian with Gnome (as is my preference). I have a 1680x1050 laptop screen and
a 1600x1200 monitor. I've configured the display (using Nvidia's binary
driver) for Twinview, which is mostly great.

However, what I'd really like is either of the following schemes, and I cannot
see how to set them up.

     *	The screens cloned (which I can do) but with the additional criterion
that the top and bottom menu bar ribbons do not exceed the width of the
narrower screen (i.e. the external monitor's 1600)

OR

     *	The screens configured so the laptop is to the left of the monitor
(which I can do) but with the additional criterion that the window manager's
automatic window placement is always on the monitor (i.e. the right-hand
display) rather than the laptop

Of course, in either case I would want the display to drop back to covering
just the laptop screen whenever the monitor wasn't present. This currently
works well, too.

Is what I want actually possible, and if so, can anyone give me some pointers,
please?

Thanks,
Chris