[Wylug-help] Help needed setting up server and LAN

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 17 21:53:34 BST 2007

On Friday 17 Aug 2007, Mike Goodman wrote:
> Chris Davies MBCS wrote:
> > Mike Goodman wrote:
> >> 5. Configure the Router to have a route to 192.168.1.0/24 // Broken.
> >
> > The terminology 192.168.1.0/24 is shorthand for "the network 192.168.1.0
> > with a 24-bit netmask, i.e. 255.255.255.0". On a Netgear DG814
> > configuration of such routes can be found under Advanced - Static Routes
> > (http://192.168.1.0/staticroutes.htm).
>
> OK. That means I guessed correctly last night. However, after following
> your instructions below, I still had to reset it to 192.168.0.1 to get a
> working internet connection on the workstation - wire plugged in to
> router, not to the box I am still hoping to make into a server. I could
> ping an IP address, but not a fqdn, from a terminal.

Mike, I've been away and missed most of this thread, so I don't know what
you've already tried.

Pinging a fqdn, though.  This relies on two things.  First, you need
your /etc/hosts file to reflect all the boxes on the lan if you want to be
able to reach them by name.  For addresses outside your lan you need dns
server IPs entered onto the router, so that it knows where to look.  What
router is it?

> > Log in as root and try this:
> >
> > ifdown eth0        # Don't worry if it says it's already down
> > ifup eth0        # This should "just work" silently
> >
> > You should then have an interface defined for eth0, i.e. "ifconfig eth0"
> > should show you an IP address, etc.
>
> On booting up, I got # login: eth1: setting full duplex based on MII#1
> link partner capability of 4 5e1 (new line after figure 4 so I don't
> know if there's supposed to be a space)
>
> Blank line after ifdown eth0
>
> ifup eth0 elicited:
> eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full duplex, 1pa 0x41E1
>
> Yup. ifonfig eth0 shows the IP address as set, i.e. 192.168.0.1, with 0
> packet loss and all that.

192.168.0.1 should be the router address.  Is that what you were testing?