[Wylug-help] Help needed setting up server and LAN

Mike Goodman mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 22:15:05 BST 2007

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 17 Aug 2007, Mike Goodman wrote:
>> Chris Davies MBCS wrote:

This (router) offers several empty boxes in the Static Routes section,
including "Route Name" which I suppose is not critical, "Private" and
"Active" checkboxes (I tried both together, then just active on its
own), then comes the important bit:

Destination IP Address - I have eth0 (external) at 192,168.0.1 and eth1
at 192.168.48.1 (internal) on the server box. Tried both, as well as
192.168.48.0 - which should I have used?

Subnet Mask - the only one I can get! 255.255.255.0

Gateway IP Address - 192.168.48.1 or 192.168.0.1?

Lastly, a box to enter "Metric" which should be an integer from 2 to 15
- I used 2.

I have a strong suspicion /etc/resolv.conf on the workstation is going
to have some bearing on this, too.

> Mike, I've been away and missed most of this thread, so I don't know what
> you've already tried.
>
> Pinging a fqdn, though.  This relies on two things.  First, you need
> your /etc/hosts file to reflect all the boxes on the lan if you want to be
> able to reach them by name.
Tried putting various hosts into /etc/hosts on both server and
workstation but until I loaded ipqmasq onto the server, couldn't ping
beyond the server - oddly enough, I could get its external address,
192.168.0.1, but couldn't ping the router or anything beyond the server
at all. With ipqmasq installed, I could ping IP addresses anywhere but . . .

> For addresses outside your lan you need dns
>> server IPs entered onto the router, so that it knows where to look.  What
>> router is it?

  . . . Netgear DG834 and the workstation couldn't ping any fqdn other
than the router (no other hosts within the LAN). There are two DNS
server IPs as supplied by my ISP, Zen, on the DG834.

However, Anne, you may have put your finger on it - if I'm using the
server as the router for the LAN, shouldn't those (Zen) addresses be
entered as the nameserver addresses in /etc/resolv.conf on the
workstation, rather than 192.168.48.1 (or 0.1)? Or should it be three
from the four? Should I be using the server's fqdn, or the LAN's domain
name, as a separate search line in there, too?

Whatever happens, I need some way for the workstation's browsers to find
web sites and for an email client to resolve email comms. I have Ubuntu
on this workstation and Xubuntu on the laptop, so everything's Debian based.

The server seems to be working (it's only got a base system in there
just now, none of the server software for the planned uses) insofar as
pinging, apt-get install and apt-get update are concerned, and in
talking to the (only) workstation.

So it's a case of getting the router's Static Routes settings correct
and the workstation's networking configurations set correctly - I think??

The current situation is router reset to factory defaults and
workstation backed up then OS reinstalled and configured. Server
switched off to allow me to get back in touch. That's after being
offline since Friday, early evening, back on this morning with a backlog
of work to do. So as far as I can judge, the server is good but the
other stuff will need re-setting for my aim of router ->
web/file/printer server -> LAN to come into being. You have a clean
sheet for new ideas!

Any suggestions? Not sure if "I'm off for two weeks" means Chris Davies
is away on holiday, or he's taking a couple of weeks off work and
looking for a distraction or two whilst chilling out? :o)

Best, and thanks for the help so far,

Mike