[Wylug-help] Fetchmail/procmail question

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 22 10:00:09 BST 2007

For a long time I've used fetchmail/procmail/dovecot for my mail, running
fetchmail and procmail as user.  Now I want to be able to fetch mail for David
and route it to his mailboxes, which I presume will not be possible when I
run as user.

I was running fetchmail as a cron job, but have been told that it's better to
run it as a daemon, so I'm trying that, but this new development is something
I don't really understand.

Should fetchmail be running as root (I assume that a user fetchmail will not
be able to write to his mailbox)?  Does that mean that procmail also has to
run as root?  I assumed so, but then it begs the question of procmailrc.  I
tried adding a section at the end, changing the user parameters and setting
his filters, but that doesn't seem to work.

If I'm starting fetchmail from rc.d/rc.local, should I then run separate
fetchmail/procmail setups on each user?  I don't think that can be done?
Wouldn't that have to be run with cron, rather than as a daemon?

No matter what I do, I don't see the test messages I sent to him arriving
anywhere at all (I've got the laptop logged in as him).  I presume, then,
that it is impossible to do it this way

I'm obviously missing something important.  There's no mail in any of his
Maildir folders, nor in /var/spool/mail.

As you see, I need setting straight :-)