[Wylug-help] Is the Lenovo R61 a good choice? - graphics chipset

John Leach john at johnleach.co.uk
Fri Aug 24 12:03:06 BST 2007

Hi Chris,

The nvidious graphics chipset worries me as it you may have to use the
proprietary binary drivers.  This obviously limits your freedom, but in
my case causes instability and slows down suspending too.  And it
doesn't work with the fancy new 3D desktop stuffs :(

Strangely though, dabs has another R61 that lists the graphics chipset
as "Intel GMA X3100".  I'm assuming this is just a different revision of
the hardware - try and find out if the Intel is part of the newer or the
older revision :)

http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4L48

Intel have been really great about providing specs to the free software
community and therefore their cards tend to have almost perfect support.

This mailing list message is from Keith Packard who works on the X
window system and works for Intel.  He states that the X3100 is
supported, and seems to state that *all* graphics cards shipped by Intel
are (and will be) supported by the free software drivers:

http://readlist.com/lists/lists.freedesktop.org/xorg/2/13054.html

Hope this helps!

John.

Dabs have the Intel GMA X3100