[Wylug-help] PDF to Word converter

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Fri Aug 31 16:05:29 BST 2007

On 31 Aug 2007, at 15:40, James Holden wrote:
> PDF is essentially a page description language, whereas Word is a
> document editor. PDF doesn't carry all of the document structure, eg:
> paragraphs, tables. It's just lines and boxes and chunks of text.
>
> Are you sure the PDF doesn't support fields? Have you tried opening it
> in the proprietary Adobe viewer? You may find that it reveals
> clickable
> fields.

An alternative, although rather nasty, is to make the original PDF
(or you may need to convert it to a different format for the word
processor - Word is very bad at accepting any decent format, Ooo is
better at this) a background image on the page, and then put your
additions on top.  This may hit problems with the standard problem
that no 2 versions of Word (potentially including the same version
but on a different machine) render a document the same way.

[Do I sound bitter.... I never cease to be impressed at just how crap
Word and the other Office products are - for example on the copy I
have it will not allow you to put a 3 point line 12 points below each
main heading - keeps resetting it to 1/2 pt width, and randomising
the distance]

	Nigel.