[Wylug-help] Fedora, IDE and RAID

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 17:39:45 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 04 December 2007 17:31, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> [root at localhost ~]# more /boot/grub/menu.lst
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/md2
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/md0
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Fedora (2.6.21-1.3194.fc7)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 ro root=/dev/md2 rhgb quiet
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.img
> [root at localhost ~]#
>
> This looks to me like it's using the partition on the first hdd as though
> it was were a normal partition. This should be fine shouldn't it if I'm
> only using mirroring.

Result - kinda

I managed to get it to boot manually. I unplugged the 1st HDD sda then booted
up.

At the GRUB prompt I typed in:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 ro root=/dev/md2
initrd /initrd-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.img
boot

and my linux system booted up minus the missing HDD.  Other than finding a way
to do this automatically, this'll do.

All I need to do now is work out how I would rebuild the missing HDD onto a
new blank one. Anyone know how to do this?

I'm going to remove the origninal sda and replace it. Hopefully the system
will still boot using the above system and then I can play with rebuilding
the missing disk.

--
Gary Stainburn