[Wylug-help] rsync problems

Stephen Patterson steve at patter.mine.nu
Sat Feb 10 13:30:35 GMT 2007

On 10 Feb 07, Anne Wilson (cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk) wrote:
> The problem arises when entering a directory that is owned by the 'other'
> user.  New files are added without a problem, but there is a practical
> problem, giving rise to endless messages like
>
> rsync: failed to set times on "/Public/Recipes/Indian/.xvpics": Operation not
> permitted (1)

I may be wrong but I think you need to be the file's owner to set the
timestamp. I've not seen this crop up with rsync before but my rsync backup
script runs as root (its a full system backup).

--
Stephen Patterson :: steve at patter.mine.nu :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber: patter at jabber.earth.li
"Don't be silly, Minnie. Who'd be walking round these cliffs with a gas oven?"