[Wylug-help] rsync problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Feb 10 13:02:26 GMT 2007

One box acts, in part, as a backup repository, while two other boxes run rsync
scripts to transfer the files.  For the most part it works well, but I have
one problem.

Some of the directories, in a public area, are receiving from both boxes.  New
directories may be created by myself or David.  I have made sure that all
directories are username:users and perms are 770.  I see that it is not
permitted for 'users' to own the directories, so I can't get around the
problem that way.

The problem arises when entering a directory that is owned by the 'other'
user.  New files are added without a problem, but there is a practical
problem, giving rise to endless messages like

rsync: failed to set times on "/Public/Recipes/Indian/.xvpics": Operation not
permitted (1)

It's no big deal that the directory timestamps are not being updated, I think,
but it would be nice to clear up this problem.  I've tried everything I can
think of, but I can't believe that there isn't a solution.  Maybe it can be
done with one of the less common attribute flags?  Browsing 'man chattr' has
not inspired me.