[Wylug-help] Removing a crontab

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Feb 11 14:32:14 GMT 2007

On Sunday 11 February 2007 10:44, Andrew J Cole wrote:
> Anne,
>
> >                                   I tried 'crontab -u nobody -i' but
> > it=20 demanded a filename.  What do I need to make this work?  Where will
> > I find= =20
> >this filename?
>
> Different distributions undoubtably have very different setups.  On an
> oldish redhat "find / -name "crontab*" -ls" shows (of interest) the
> executable and "/etc/crontab" which is a text file....
>
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
> MAILTO=root
> HOME=/
>
> # run-parts
> 01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
> 02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
> 22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
> 42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly
>
> which are standard distribution directories.  As this system is a pure
> server it hasn't got any user crons but they would (almost certainly)
> be in one of these or another created specially because of their timing
> requirements.

Hi, Andrew.  This command returns the executable, /etc/crontab, some man
pages, then these entries

20382068    4 -rw-------   1 anne     users         117 Jan 26
18:58 /home/anne/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/crontab.txt.desktop
34210991    4 -rw-------   1 amanda   disk          100 Apr  8
2006 /home/amand
a/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/crontab.desktop
1173523    8 -rw-r--r--   1 root     root         4106 Jan 10
2006 /var/cache/y
um/development/headers/crontabs-1.10-7.1.noarch.hdr

Mine, amanda backup, and yum headers.  Everything owned as it should be.
Nothing there, I think.

It's beginning to look as though there is a bug in chkrootkit bringing up this
warning and I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks to all who tried to help.