[Wylug-help] printers and e-mails

Stephen Patterson steve at patter.mine.nu
Sat Feb 17 15:48:53 GMT 2007

On 17 Feb 07, scott (linux at sh2515.plus.com) wrote:
> I have a Lexmark e120n printer on my router and I am finding it very
> difficult to find CUPS for it even though the CUPS website says it has it.

If you can't find an exact match for the drivers, the printer uses PCL6. There
may be a generic PCL option on cups or you could try some of the HP Laserjet
drivers (the 4L uses PCL3 so could be close enough).

> Also how do I use a network printer in Linux, because I am not familiar with
> the ipp settings.

For connecting to network printers from cups, the IPP address format is
ipp://hostname[:port]/printer   (port is optional, default 631). You may have
more luck with lpd though, its an older protocol and probably more widely
supported by network printers.

--
Stephen Patterson :: steve at patter.mine.nu :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber: patter at jabber.earth.li
"Don't be silly, Minnie. Who'd be walking round these cliffs with a gas oven?"