[Wylug-help] GRUB extra

Towle, William william.towle at echostar.com
Wed Feb 28 09:42:19 GMT 2007

> > mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/fedora
> >
> > (where /mnt/fedora already exists of course).
>
> What does that mean? does it mean if there is a partition there or
> something called mnt/fedora in a configuration file?

  Both of the DEVICE and DIRECTORY arguments given to mount
must be a) a device node or b) a directory that already
exist; it will complain otherwise. The directory you mount
the device onto does not have to be empty, but in that case
you won't see its original content afterwards.

  ...the same limitations apply to the line you add to
/etc/fstab. Note the comma you used is spurious [it's the
previous field which is comma-separated], ie:

> "/dev/sda5        /data       ext3       defaults         0,0"

should read:

/dev/sda5		/data		ext3		defaults
0	0

  Here, you'll get warnings if (on attempting 'mount ...')
/dev/sda5 is corrupt or isn't an ext3 filesystem, /data is a
directory that doesn't exist, and so on.

  Since you asked, the last two columns are concerned with
whether you'll be backing up the data and whether to run the
boot-time disk check. You might want to change the latter.

> sorry
> for being so
> finicky but i am new to Linux and don't want to make a mess of my PC -
> which i already have done previously messing about trying to get it
> working, wrecking my windows drive in the process.

  That's okay, we understand.

Cheers,
  Wills.