[Wylug-help] GRUB extra

Craig Hopkins jha4coh at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Feb 28 12:01:32 GMT 2007

Quoting scott <linux at sh2515.plus.com> on Wed 28 Feb 2007 10:23:42 AM GMT:

> when I entered the directory /mnt/fedora all that came up was lost
> +found.  I have installed a /boot partition here so I can experiment
> with GRUB to enable me to not depend on the distro installation to find
> all the OS's on my PC - because they have failed in the past to enable
> me to load them from GRUB.  I also tried mounting sda6 which is the
> actual fedora core 6 installation and the same lost+found came up. can
> anyone explain what I am doing wrong.

Have you got any other partitions lurking anywhere that you haven't checked,
just in case you installed it to the wrong place? 'ls /dev/sd*' at the terminal
will tell you which partitions you have... or use hwbrowser if you have gnome.

> the reason for me wanting to mount my drive is to find out the exact
> kernal i have installed for me to tell GRUB.

Makes sense. Are you sure Fedora installed properly, though? If all you're
seeing is a couple of lost+found folders, that suggests empty partitions. I'd
have a look at your other partitions to see what you can find.

> Craig Hopkins showed me his Grub for fedora and corrected my mistakes,
> but when I select it Grub tells me I have to load the kernal before
> initrd.  this leads me to surmise that I have inputted the wrong kernal
> for it to load.

If the root() part is wrong, then grub is trying to load a kernel that doesn't
exist, hence it telling you to load the kernel first. Try looking at your other
partitions to see if you can track down the fedora installation (just don't
confuse it with your current distro)

> I must apologise for dragging this out so long, as it must be a facile
> task for most of you to do.

You wouldn't believe the things I've managed to do wrong with grub in the past.
It's all part of the fun. :)